We have a lovely antique violet wand which we found in a pawn shop in Houston years ago. It was made by Sears & Roebuck, probably in the 1920s.
Ours came with one round and one comb electrode.
- Some kits came with more; I’ve seen listings for kits with as many as 15 different attachments. Ours wasn’t the Rolls Royce model, but we love it anyway.
- It still has the original instructions (with guidance for physicians on how to treat “any orifice of the body”!!), plus a “Chart of Instructions for the application of the High Frequency Current.” This chart lists just about every imaginable illness and how to treat it, including:
- “Brain Fag:” requires that the “Ozone Generator” electrode be charged with pine needle oil and then applied to the nostrils. Yeah, that’ll wake a person up!
- Breast Development: “Cover the entire area to be developed” !!
- Cancer: Mild Form only, apparently
- Female Troubles: “As high frequency draws the blood, application during menstruation may cause excessive flow of blood. Do not have current on while inserting or removing electrodes. Lubricate electrode with High Frequency Lubricant.” (Yes, fer gawdsakes, use the damn lube!) This brings to mind Victorian doctors using “manual manipulation” of the genitals to treat women with hysteria. I wonder how many women went home from violet wand treatment with big happy smiles on their faces?
- Flabby Breast: “Apply to nipple and whole surface of breast.” Yeah, that’ll perk ‘em right up!
- Leucorrhoea (vaginal discharge) & Gonorrhea: Use the same method as “Female Troubles.” And also, “Antiseptic douches should be taken.” Penicillin? Who needs Penicillin?
- Piles (Hemorrhoids) and other rectal diseases: “Lubricate before inserting.” Um, yeah, I’d say so.
I have a friend who calls it a “violent wand,” because when it’s on low it’s just a nice buzzy friend…
…but crank it up, and you get tiny little lightning bolts.
The combined sense of dread and longing I feel for this toy is intoxicating. Himself loves the way it makes me squeal and jump, and I love the way it zaps me straight into nirvana.
Even more fun: touch it to a metal toy, and watch the sparks fly!
I have promised myself that this year, finally, I will buy myself some additional attachments. Something designed specifically for an orifice would be nice, I think. ❤